Friday, August 21, 2009

... forever 29 ...

I'm gonna have the first sort of big birthday party this Sunday in years. At my house. In recent years, no, really since I left Switzerland almost 6 years ago, the celebrations were always always sweet, but small, quiet. And always spent with Katie and Reece who were gracious enough to spend THEIR anniversary evening year after year with me. Because it just happened that Mister Darling's tour dates always fell right on that date. True friends. This year friends & neighbors, our adopted family if you will, will come to our house for a Birthday bash. Roughly 20 adults and 10 kids between 6 month and 12. Wooo-hooo!!!
I had to promise Chuck to not cook for the whole crowd - I so love him for knowing me better than I do sometimes. I get totally stressed out and therefore bitchy and meany prepping bigger 'events'... 'cause it's GOTTA be perfect, I'm running out of time, get out of my way...blahblah..... SO here's what I did: I ordered food from work. My friend Bill, Sous-Chef at Cochon Butcher, is making some BBQ pulled pork for sandwiches, they ordered mini rolls, making the coleslaw and the potato salad. All I'll do is make it look pretty and put it on the buffet. I also ordered my own cake - felt a bit funny, and VERY american. I never ever ordered my birthday cake before - or any other cake for that matter. "I make my cakes. From scratch. Thank you very much" would have been my answer. And even if I have a nervous breakdown while doing so.
It's gonna be a chocolate cake with chocolate filling and frosting. They will write "Happy Birthday Rea" in bright red frosting on it.
I will make some finger sammies for the kids - that's not cooking. Just putting stuff between bread and cut cute shapes with cookie cutters. And I'll cut some watermelon. Not cooking.
I'm excited.

And right now a bit sad. I wish my girlfriends from home, my mom, my dad, all my sisters, the kids could be here. I'll always miss them. I'm mostly at peace with that fact.


No comments:

Post a Comment